Local Law Enforcement

Do you know the difference in Law Enforcement Departments in your area? Below is an explanation to help citizens who are unsure.

In the event of an emergency, no matter where you are, dial 9-1-1. A dispatcher will send the appropriate Law Enforcement to the location of the incident.

Local Law Enforcement


The Ulysses Police Department is charged with enforcing the laws of the City of Ulysses and state of Kansas within the geographic limits of the City and on any property outside of City limits that is owned by the City.

If you live in Ulysses or within the city limits when an incident occurs, you should call the Ulysses Police Department at (620) 356-3500.


The Grant County Sheriff's Department is charged with the operation of County Jail for use by the state, the County or any political subdivisions within said county. The Sheriff's Department is also charged with the service of Civil Process and enforcing the laws of the state of Kansas within the geographic limits of the County.

If you live outside of the city limits in the county, you should call the Grant County Sheriff's Department at (620) 356-3500.

State Law Enforcement 

Highway Patrol:

The Kansas Highway Patrol enforces traffic and motor vehicle laws within the state of Kansas. The Patrol can respond anywhere in the state, and the Patrol’s dispatch center works 24 hours a day, seven days a week, every day of the year. 

Non-emergency calls can be made to the Kansas Highway Patrol at (785) 296-6800.